Hearing Aid Repair and Maintenance Services in Vancouver
Hearing aids are devices with many tiny moving parts that need to be maintained for them to work at their best. Even if you maintain your hearing aids, there may be small repairs and maintenance that need to be made over time. Your hearing aids may also need adjustments over time to make sure they work the best they can for you.
If your hearing aid doesn’t seem to be working right, bring it to our clinic. Many issues can be fixed at the clinic by our team, or it can be sent to the manufacturer for repair. If you have any questions about the maintenance you should be doing on your hearing aids please contact our clinic for assistance.
Hearing Aid Repair
If the repairs are simple, they are easily managed at our clinic. Most of the time a thorough clean and check of your hearing aids resolves hearing aid issues. Sometimes hearing aids need small repairs such as:
- Changing tubes
- Changing wax guards
- Cleaning the receivers
We repair and clean hearing aids of all makes to keep them working to their full potential. The small repairs can be done at the clinic while you wait.
If the damage is more severe, the hearing aids are sent to the manufacturers for repair. Most hearing aid manufacturers in Canada are located in Ontario. It may take between five to ten business days to receive your hearing aids back from repair. These repairs may be covered by your hearing aid warranty package. If your hearing aid is not under warranty it may still be repaired by the manufacturer as long as it is not more than 5 years old.
Types of Hearing Loss
Hearing Aid Maintenance & Cleaning
- Store your hearing aids in a safe place that is not only dry, but also cool.
- Wash your hands before handling your hearing aids to prevent dirt and oils from contaminating the electrical units.
- Check your batteries with a digital battery tester, and if they are not rechargeable, change them well before they run out of life.
- Turn off your hearing aids when not in use. You may want to remove the batteries and clean their contact points occasionally to make sure everything connects properly.
- Wear your hearing aids in the shower or when swimming. Water will damage the inner workings of typical hearing aids.
- Use a hair dryer, hair spray, or any other type of hair product with your hearing aids on.
- Store your hearing aids in direct sunlight, in a car, or near a heating unit.
- Use any tools on your hearing aids other than the ones provided, as this may result in serious or permanent malfunctions.
Hearing Aid Tuning & Adjustments
Hearing aids may need adjustments or extra tuning when you start to wear new hearing aids. It is good to remain patient, as it can take time to adapt to wearing hearing aids. Your brain will be going through a process of adapting to the different focus and filtering for sounds that come from the hearing aids. Don’t be afraid to speak up if something needs to be changed. It is a team effort to make sure your hearing aids work as well as they can to help you.
Here are some signs that you might need to have adjustments made to your hearing aids:
- Whistling-like sounds in your ear
- Volume fluctuations
- Additional hearing loss
- Pain or discomfort in or around your ear
You may also find that, over time, your hearing goes through slight changes. This can lead to your hearing aids not helping as much as they once did. Therefore we recommend our clients return for a periodic hearing checkup.
Telehearing Care Appointments
One of the best times to make adjustments to your hearing aids is when you are in the environment where the issue is occurring. You can now book an appointment with your hearing care provider remotely. They can adjust or tune the hearing aids while you are at a coffee shop, at home during inclement weather, or traveling during the winter. That way the problem can be resolved in real time and be more accurate.
The remote hearing aid service is available for people that have remote hearing care compatible hearing aids, smartphone technology and a wi-fi connection.
When to Consult A Hearing Care Professional
Whether the repair is small or large we can fix your hearing aids, so they perform at their best. If you need our hearing aid repair service, please contact your local hearing clinic.